Every February, countless sports fans gather in front of their televisions, ready for the year’s biggest football game. During this time, when attention is focused on touchdowns, cheers, commercials and snacks, pets can get into all kinds of things they shouldn’t — things that could be a potential danger. So, just in time for the big game, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) has a few Super pointers to help you ensure that your pets are safe and sound.
If something smells delicious to you, it will probably smell even better to your pet. But as you know, many tasty treats we may enjoy can cause serious health concerns for your furry friends. Don’t let your pet get into chicken wings, creamy dip, pizza, chocolate desserts and potato chips. The spread for the big game can cause stomach upset and potentially pancreatitis. Be especially careful about any foods that might have garlic and/or onion in them, as they can cause damage to the red blood cells and kidneys. Additionally, chocolate, macadamia nuts, grapes, raisins and salty snack foods should be kept away from pets.
Don’t leave alcoholic beverages unattended. Glasses may be left on a coffee table while people hurry to the kitchen or crowd around the television, and pets can easily lap them up.
It’s not just food and beverages to be worried about — empty bags and paper plates can be just as dangerous. Clean up as you go! Don’t leave any plates or trash around for curious noses to get into. Keep your pet away from plastic bags of chips and open garbage containers as they can suffocate or choke on trash.
Have a bowl of special treats you know your pet loves, or even your pet’s regular food, that guests can give to your four-legged-friend as a snack. That way, everyone can get something special to eat!
If you suspect your pet has been exposed to any poisonous substances or ingested anything harmful, contact your veterinarian or call Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) at 888-426-4435 immediately.